The Sailor Box Project started 2010 when my friend’s husband was in Afghanistan. We had a little Facebook banter going back and forth about home cooked meals he missed, so I decided to send him a care-package full of snacks and little things from home. BUT, he got sent home just before I could send it! So, he had me send it anyway, addressed to one of his team leaders.
It was such a fun way to say thank you and get that directly to a deployed Navy SeaBee Team. Some of these special operations teams don’t often get these kinds of packages, so with his help, I have continued this tradition of filling large USPS flat rate boxes with all sorts of fun items and mailing it to them!
USPS gives a little discount when we ship to an APO address, but it is still close to $18 to ship each box right now. The money I collect through this GoFundMe page is used to cover postage and small filler items.
Thank you for supporting and being part of this fun little privately organized military care package project!
You can also contribute through this PayPal link.
Want to contribute *things* to put into a Sailor Box?
Here’s a list of items to get you started:
- Letters! Please do not fold them or put them in envelopes. I can get more stuff in the boxes when the letters are flat. A 3×5 index card is a great size!
- ZipFizz and similar beverage additives
- Individually wrapped pepperoni sticks (Hempler’s at Costco is a really great brand)
- Foam footballs that have been vacuum sealed (double seal the ends so NO air can leak in! Please ask me if you don’t know how to do this)
- Dry Roast peanuts, sunflower seeds, corn nuts, etc (commercially packaged)
- Jerky of all types (commercially packaged please)
- Letters and notes from children.
- Microwave Popcorn
- Snacks that come in canisters, like Pringles, and some cookies
- Letters and notes
- Individually wrapped tea bags.
- Individual packages of cider mix, instant breakfast, hot cocoa, etc.
- Reading material such as books and recent sports magazines
- Granola bars, breakfast bars, protein bars (boxes of individually packaged)
- Small puzzles and travel games
- Playing Cards
- LETTERS and notes
- Adult coloring books, coloring pencils (no crayons or markers please)
- Puzzle books like crossword, Sudoku, word search and the like
- Photographs you have taken on your adventures with a description written on the back about the picture. Events, and locations help show them the life they are helping protect.
- Condiment packets like hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, jelly, peanut butter, salt and pepper, sugar etc (no liquid creamer, powdered is ok)
- Special event or location T-shirts (new or very gently used and clean)
On Wednesday February 13th, 2019 Perfectly Knotty was honored received this amazing plaque in the mail from the US Navy SeaBee Battalion that we have been sending care packages to, as a thank you for our care and efforts with this project.
I thank all of you who have participated and helped to make this project possible and successful!
Your contributions of letters, and snacks and other goodies make a huge difference to these soldier who work so hard to help make the world a safer and better place!
Let’s keep this going for another 10 years!