At Perfectly Knotty, I believe fiber should feel good on your skin, period.
I see your frustration.
You’ve tried getting help at local yarn shops:
- You don’t know what yarns are safe to use when you or someone you are stitching for has fiber allergies.
- You don’t know how to substituted a yarn if a pattern is written for something that you don’t have, can’t get, or can’t use.
- You feel dismissed when you walk into an upscale yarn shop and get looked at like you are from outer space when you ask about allergy safe yarns, or wool free yarns, or worse, mention that you crochet!
- Maybe you are feeling guilty because you already have SO MUCH yarn!
Has a local yarn shop sent you to WalMart to buy Red Heart Super Saver because you crochet or have a fiber allergy?
I have! I get it. It’s discouraging.
I felt like my yarn craft was inferior. I felt like I did not deserve to be able to use quality yarn to knit or crochet because I got a rash using sheep wool.
I felt like I didn’t deserve to get help, support, and teaching because my crochet was somehow inferior to their knitting.
All of these things, and more, are the lies that I was conditioned to believe, and eradicating those lies is what drove me to created Perfectly Knotty for you.
So, here’s the truth:
- Thinking knitting is better than crochet is like thinking that oil painting is better than water colors. How absurd is that!? One isn’t better than the other. They are totally different! They do different things and have different outcomes. Understanding what makes each technique unique and beneficial allows you to employ them where they are best suited.
- Crochet can ONLY BE DONE BY HAND! It cannot be made using a machine, the way knitting can! Crochet is just as deserving of “the good yarn” as knitting!
- There are LOTS of fibers that yarn can be made out of, and that is increasing every year! It DID used to be just sheep wool, silk and cotton, then along came bunny and goat angoras, then along came the man made nylon and acrylic fibers … and in the last 20 years, there has been a massive explosion of materials from truly human-made to natural-base human-processed, and traditionally understood naturally occurring fibers. It’s fascinating and amazing! Did you know that yarn can be made out of MILK!? Ya, that’s a thing.
- If a fabric fiber does not feel good on your skin, it does NOT MATTER if you are allergic, sensitive, or just plain ole don’t like it!
Hi I’m Suzi Quillen. Empress of Yarn here at Perfectly Knotty.
I love 19th century literature, history, all things handmade and made from scratch, and our slow rural lifestyle.
I have been knitting and crocheting since I was about 6 years old. While I learned basic knit and crochet from my Grandma at an early age, I quickly developed instinctive stitching skills through experimenting, trying and exploring … because no one told me I couldn’t!
One day Grandma saw something I “made up” and said, “You can do that? That’s hard!” Well, I’m glad that she didn’t tell me that before I did it, otherwise I wouldn’t have even tried! I didn’t know I was a pattern designer, I just couldn’t afford the yarn and the patterns, so I used my garment construction sewing skills to figure out how to crochet or knit pieces the right shape to get the completed thing I wanted.
By the time I was in my twenties reverse engineering damaged heirloom crochet lace became an early specialty. But I mostly kept this to myself and a couple close friends, until a friend suggested that I could be published! WHAT!?! That’s a thing!? And just like that, I was a pattern designer!
Now I share the knowledge and passion I gained through a lifetime of trial and error, with you through YouTube tutorials, a fun VIP Group on Facebook, beautiful yarns, fun patterns and more!
I teach you how to have the skills you need to be confident in your stitching and get the complements on your finished projects that you desire!
With a contagious smile and a gentle attitude, I generously share my lifelong love of crochet and knitting.
In no time I’ll have you inspired to create something wonderful for yourself or a loved one. If you hang out with me long enough, I’ll brain wash you into believing in yourself!
When you order your yarn at PerfectlyKnotty.com, I personally package each order, and usually throw in a few little bonus treats, like tea, a bit of whatever herb is fresh in the garden, a personal note of encouragement, or maybe a yarn sample, because I want you to have the most friendly and loving yarn shop experience I can provide, even if it is online!
You are welcome here!