The Sailor Box Project started 2010 when my friend's husband was in Afghanistan. We had a little banter going back and forth about home cooked meals he missed, so I decided to send him a care-package full of snacks and little things from home. BUT, he got sent home just before I could send it! But, he had me send it any way, addressed to one of his team leaders.
It was such a fun way to say thank you and get that directly to a deployed Navy SeaBee Team. Some of these teams don't often get these kinds of packages, so with his help, I have continued this tradition of filling large USPS flat rate boxes with all sorts of items and mailing them!
USPS gives a little discount when we ship to an APO address, but it is still close to $17 per box. The money I collect through the GoFundMe page is used to cover postage and small filler items.
Thank you for being part of this fun little privately organized military care package project!
Want to contribute *things* to put in the boxes?
Here's a list of items to get you started:
- Letters! Please do not fold them or put them in envelopes. I can get more stuff in the boxes when the letters are flat. A 3x5 index card is a great size!
- ZipFizz and similar beverage additives
- Individually wrapped pepperoni sticks
- Foam footballs that have been vacuum sealed (double seal the ends so NO air can leak in!)
- Dry Roast peanuts, sunflower seeds, corn nuts, etc
- Jerky of all types (commercially packaged please)
- Letters and notes from children.
- Snacks that come in canisters, like Pringles
- Individually wrapped tea bags.
- Individual packed of cider mix, instant breakfast, hot cocoa, etc.
- Adult reading material such as books and recent sports magazines
- Granola bars, breakfast bars, protein bars
- Small toys and travel games
- Playing Cards
- Adult coloring books, coloring pencils (no crayons of markers please)
- Puzzle books like crossword, Sudoku, word search and the like
- Photographs you have taken on your adventures with a story on the back about the picture
- Condiment packets like ketchup, mustard, jelly, peanut butter, pepper